Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph has urged Carlton to make Carlton star Bryce Gibbs a Blue for life.
In what would be a bold move, Ralph believes the Blue should strike while the iron is hot and re-negotiate Gibbs’ current $3 million, five-year deal that expires at the end of 2019.
The star playmaker unsuccessfully attempted to join Adelaide during last year’s trade period but has put that disappointment behind him to be one of the stars of the club’s stellar 2017 season.
The 28-year-old is averaging 28 disposals, including 43 in the win over Gold Coast, and has kicked 11 goals as the frontline force of an emerging midfield group.
“If I was Carlton I’d be doing something aggressively now to offer him more money to show how much he is needed at the Blues,” Ralph told SEN’s The Run Home.
“Find ways to sign the guy up and ensure he stays at Carlton for the rest of his career.”
After the Crows botched an attempt to lure Gibbs there is mounting speculation the club will again launch a bold bid to snatch the former No. 1 draft pick away from Carlton’s clutches.
It’s been rumoured a large chunk of Gibb’s current deal was front-ended, and with the Blues boasting plenty of salary cap space, renegotiating his deal to price an Adelaide side, said to have a salary cap bursting at the seams, makes sound economic sense.
“He’s young enough for Adelaide to say we stuffed up last time so we’ll give Carlton that first round pick,” Ralph said.
“He’s got two years to go on his deal but if Carlton make that offer beyond the current timeframe then it makes it a very attractive proposition for Gibbs.
“Plus the fact the side is heading in the right direction can’t hurt the cause.”
At 5-7 the Blues are one game, and percentage, out of the top eight and facing a Sunday blockbuster against arch-rival Richmond at the MCG. Carlton has not beaten the Tigers since the elimination final victory in 2013.