Delisted Port Adelaide forward Boyd Woodcock admits he was "pretty confident" he would get a new deal, before ultimately being cut last week.
The 21-year-old spent three seasons at the club and debuted in 2020 to play 12 games in his career at Alberton.
Seven of those came this season, the last in round 19, but he couldn’t force his way into the line-up for the Power’s finals campaign.
“My manager gave me a call a few days ago and said, ‘You’re going to get a call from Kenny (coach Ken Hinkley) and it’s not going to go your way,’” he told SEN SA Breakfast.
“Kenny obviously gave me the ring and let me know and said, unfortunately, the club’s going a different way and it’ll be good for me to get opportunities elsewhere, whether that be at another AFL club, which is what I’m hoping for, if not then at the state level and that way at least I’ll be able to get some more games in.”
Woodcock says he struggled to get a good go at the Power and thought he had enough potential in his game to warrant another contract.
He averaged 12 disposals and just under a goal a game in 2021 playing what he believes is “the hardest role in the game”.
“Last year was a bit frustrating, I only played six or seven full SANFL games and five full games of AFL, and then two as a sub as well,” Woodcock said.
“I think for most of the year I was pretty confident (of getting a new deal), I’m only 21, I’ve come in and played 12 games in the last two years and still developing but obviously the club’s gone a different way, which I completely respect.
“(They said) you’ve done everything you could from where you were when I first got to the club to where I am now and I should be proud of that, which I am.
“Hopefully I can keep working on my game and get opportunities elsewhere.
“I could be a bit biased, but I reckon playing the half-forward role is probably the hardest role in the game to play, there’s so much unrewarded work that goes on that no one even notices.
“My manager’s been in touch with a few clubs, he said he’s going to give me some time to relax and have a think about teams and he’ll call me at some stage this week and get in touch as to what it’s looking like.”
Jarrod Lienert and Sam Mayes were also delisted on Friday; however, the club will re-select Mayes in November’s rookie draft.