James Jordon is expected to depart Melbourne this off-season.
That is the news being reported by SEN’s Tom Morris who is of the belief that the 22-year-old is ready to depart the club as a free agent.
Jordon was selected with pick 33 in the 2018 draft and did not debut at AFL level until 2021 when he played 25 games including as an unused substitute in the Grand Final triumph over the Western Bulldogs.
After 18 senior games in 2023, including six times as the sub, he is seeking a fresh start despite returning to the side for the club’s heartbreaking Semi Final loss to Carlton on Friday night.
“People close to Jordon tell me they’d be shocked if he re-signs at Melbourne,” said Morris on SEN Breakfast.
“He’s been putting off contract talks all year, and now the season is finished the next few days will determine his future.
“Remember he’s a free agent because he was delisted and re-rookied a couple of years ago, so he has great bargaining power.”
Jordon was technically delisted and then re-listed after a rule change in late 2020 which allowed the Demons to move him (along with Aaron Nietschke) straight to the rookie list.
He has played a total of 65 matches across the last three seasons with the Dees.
It is understood that St Kilda is showing interest in Jordon.
Another premiership Demon set to exit is James Harmes.
Morris has previously spoken about the 27-year-old who remains under contract until the end of 2024.
“I told you two months ago he was on the lookout for a new home and the Demons are open to it given he’s on more than $500,000 next year,” Morris added.
The likes of Richmond and Sydney have been linked to Harmes.
Jordon and Harmes aside, there remains some uncertainty surrounding defender Adam Tomlinson who also returned for the clash with the Blues.
Tomlinson is also contracted until the end of next year but is stuck behind Steven May and Jake Lever and is keen for further playing opportunities.