By SEN
Download the SEN App
Your Home of Sport, In your Hand
Corey Parker has put his hat in the ring to coach the Queensland Maroons in the wake of Billy Slater's departure.
Last week, Slater confirmed he would step down from leading the Origin squad after five series at the helm with the 43-year-old saying it had not been an easy decision to walk away a side he had "idolised" as a child.
Slater was appointed as Paul Green's successor in 2022 and won three of five titles overall.
Earlier this week both Cameron Smith and Kevin Walters ruled themselves out of the race. Now Parker has weighed in.
"I've definitely got an itch to coach," Parker, who played 19 games for the Maroons and won six series, said on SENQ Breakfast.
"In regards to the Queensland Origin team, there's obviously some conversations that need to be had, and if they thought that I was an option, well, it'd be certainly something I'd, you know I'd look to talk further about.
"They're conversations for the powers above.
"The thing with Queensland is anyone who's taken the role on has done it for the great state and what the state means.
"The state means exactly the same to me that it did to Bill, that it did to Kev, that it did to, Mal (Meninga). The list goes on.
"There's a number of great people that could go and coach for Queensland, and, if there was an opportunity, and there was a conversation to be had, I wouldn't be turning down the conversation."
As a shortlist takes shape, Smith said on Monday the gig was not one he would be pursuing.
"I've heard comments from Wayne Bennett (endorsing me) and I really appreciate the sentiments, but it's not the role for me at this current time," Smith said on Nine's 100% Footy.
"I was lucky enough to be involved in the camp with the players and Billy when he started in 2022 and '23 and thoroughly enjoyed my time.
"But there was a reason I stepped away after 2023. I couldn't fully commit to the role and at the time that was an assistant coach, not head coach.
"And nothing in my life has changed."