By Nicholas Quinlan
Download the SEN App
Your Home of Sport, In your Hand
With the Rugby League World Cup just months away, Australia coach Kevin Walters has confirmed that he'll depart from the role following the conclusion of the tournament.
Having taken over from Mal Meninga ahead of the Rugby League Ashes, the Broncos legend led Australia to a 3-nil series win over England last November, which saw him contracted through to the RLWC taking place on home soil.
But after that, Walters has confirmed that he'll take charge of Super League side St. Helens for three seasons. This marks his first full-time role since he was sacked by the Brisbane Broncos at the conclusion of the 2024 season.
In a statement, the 58-year-old said he was honoured to take on the role, having enjoyed his time in England during the Ashes.
“St.Helens are one of the most iconic and successful brands in rugby league. I am honoured to be given the opportunity by the Chairman, Eamonn McManus, and the St.Helens Board to lead a club with so much history," he said.
“I look forward to bringing my experiences as a Coach and blending those learnings into the winning culture of St.Helens.
“For me, the foundation of success is creating the right environment where the players and staff enjoy coming to training and working hard for each other, as well as the Saints sponsors, fans and the wider community.
“At the end of last year, I was in England for the Ashes Series as the Kangaroos Head Coach. I witnessed firsthand how tough, physical, and skilful the English players were. I look forward to being a part of Super League in 2027 with the Saints.”
Walters does have experience coaching in the competition. Between 2009 and 2010, the former Queensland coach was in charge of the Catalan Dragons. In his first season, he took the club to the qualifying semi-finals (preliminary finals) before finishing last the following season.
The Kangaroos' campaign begins on October 15 when they take on New Zealand at Allianz Stadium in Sydney.